UrbanIQ, for smart urban strategies
UrbanIQ wants to help cities and regions developing their knowledge society. We conduct research, and provide consultancy services and training in the field of urban management. Also, we organise "peer-learning" between urban managers, by organising international city networks around specific themes.
- Training for elected politicians from 30 European cities. In 2013, UrbanIQ organises three 3-day training seminars in Brussels, on modern urban management theories and tools. The participants are from Urbact partner cities.
- Creating Silicon Valley in Moscow? UrbanIQ -together with Euricur/Erasmus University- helps the Skolkovo Foundation to reflect on the question how to promote innovation in Skolkovo, Russia's most ambitious science city project.
- City and university: UrbanIQ provides support to the EUniverCities network (cities&universities from a number of European cities), on the question how cities and universities can collaborate in a fruitful way. Check this interactive map to see the partner cities, reports, and studies
- Identifying "soft" location factors that matter for regional competitiveness. For the Dutch Province of North Brabant, we identify which soft location factors matter for developing the knowledge economy, and develop methods how to measure them
- Research and coaching for the Knowcities consortium, a network of 11 medium sized European cities on how to find a future direction in the knowledge based economy, and design effective policies (Interreg project)
Check this interactive map to see the partner cities, reports, and studies.
- Facilitating an international exchange network of cities that are developing campuses and other 'knowledge hotspots' (REDIS urbact project)
UrbanIQ is managed by two partners: Willem van Winden and Luis de Carvalho
Dr. Willem van Winden (PhD) is a professor in the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences. He is an expert in the field of urban and regional economic development and strategies. He was involved in numerous international studies and projects in these fields, assigned by cities in Europe, Asia and Latin America and by organisations including OECD and EU.
Drs. Luis de Carvalho (PhD) is an economist with specialization in the fields of urban management, regional development and economic geography. He is at UrbanIQ, but he is also senior researcher at RHV/Erasmus University.